Wednesday, January 20, 2010

scatter brain....

My life is so scattered. I really need to real it in, but not too far or I'll be bored. There is a fine line there.
On top of the routine (or NOT-SO-ROUTINE) job of raising 6 kids and taking care of the domicile in which they and I live, I have a part-time job with another 16-ish teenagers there. I am contracted to work 16 hours per week with/for these precious teenagers, whom I adore. There are very few weeks that I keep it to 16 hours or less. There is alot of planning that goes into making these kids put their moral compasses to work. It is very rewarding, overall.
On top of that, I do a bit of volunteer work for all the Episcopalian teens of NH. There are several retreats, overnights, lock-ins that go along with these jobs... and lots of paperwork, insurance things to keep in mind, Safer Church items, etc.
Did I mention that I am also trying to raise 6 well-adjusted kids? Well, as I type this, my youngest screamed because she wasn't able to eat the gum out of the trash. My 13-year old has a tutor coming over any minute, my 15-year old hasn't called and he is 3 hours late getting home (I should probably look into that sooner rather than later), my 8-year old is at Girl Scouts learning to read her moral compass, and my 16-year old and I just dropped spaghetti and meatball dinner off at the local soup kitchen for dinner to feed the 80 or so that visit there every night (the dinner was prepared by the youth group). NOW, I need to consider dinner for the people who I have here.... and plan the final parts of the Youth Retreat this weekend, and figure out how to fit 7 people in a sedan, legally.
In addition, I was up for about 2 1/2 hours last night (2am-4:30am) and my brain just wouldn't stop thinking about things! I hate that.
Now on that note, I read about a major aftershock in Haiti. *sigh* This time, 35 miles north of Port-Au-Prince. Which means, whatever buildings didn't crumble last week, probably did yesterday. The poor children down there.... the orphanges.... the new orphans....I can't even seem to wrap my brain around it all. And of course, the feeling that we can't do anything to help, and even if we could, the bottle necks of help down there are too tight and we couldn't get in.
OK.... my life is ok. I have food, water and a roof. Keep it simple, stupid... right?

KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment